rule-list

Re: [RULE] Preparing RULE for FC2

From: Rodolfo J. Paiz
Subject: Re: [RULE] Preparing RULE for FC2
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 15:52:40 -0600

At 11:50 5/12/2004, Martin Stricker wrote:
>          2. Synchronize at least once a day, preferably more (if no
> changes have been made, the extra syncs will carry no traffic and
> thus causes no additional load)

Do you expect that many critical changes? I think once a day is
absolutely sufficient. I would even go with every other day.

Critical changes? No... I wasn't thinking of that. If, however, more and more people are going to get involved and start contributing pages, comments, etc. to the site, then doing (for example) four tiny updates from the main site (say, one 10-second rsync transaction every 6 hours) is really no more work than doing it all once a day, but two good things happen:

a) The odd connectivity problem which prevents one sync job from completing leaves you with a shorter "outdated" interval.

        b) Even small changes propagate more quickly.

The cost (human, computational, and transport) of doing rsync every 6 hours instead of every 24 is exceedingly small, I think. Especially with the low volume of changes, as you noted.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
address@hidden