rule-list

Re: [RULE] Preparing RULE for FC2

From: Rodolfo J. Paiz
Subject: Re: [RULE] Preparing RULE for FC2
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 08:55:12 -0600

At 22:21 5/10/2004, M. Fioretti wrote:
About RULE for Fedora Core 2: everybody who has started to play with
this (Rodolfo, Martin, David, are you here?) please post here all you
founded: package lists, slinky settings, whatever.

As Martin said: here yes, FC2 zero, slinky zero. Sorry!

I'll need to get up to speed on all this "soon" but I fear that it will easily be June before I can get my head above water. At least now I do have one system which will move to FC2, another that will dual-boot XP and FC2, and one that will likely be a good testing box for RULE. Now, finding the time to do something with them... that's another basket of bread entirely.

My intention would be to split/extend the current RULE install guide
in two documents: an actual install guide for end users, and a
developers guide explaining how slinky works, how to customize it, how
to build package lists.... What do you think?

Fantastic idea.

Last but not least. Vegard, and everybody else willing to mirror the
new website: please try to mirror the test one, and let me know any
problem you find with it.

Allow me to suggest just a few requirements for mirrors (feel free to take the suggestion or not):

        1. Mirror the entire site, with downloads and everything

2. Synchronize at least once a day, preferably more (if no changes have been made, the extra syncs will carry no traffic and thus causes no additional load)

3. Subscribe to this list or to another just for site and mirror admins. I suggest a second list (which will have *very* low traffic) so that hosting-specific subjects can be discussed without bothering the rest of this community, but whatever you all prefer is fine. The point is to have the mirror admins be reachable.

4. Register the URL and a contact email address with Marco so it gets put on the website and is easily accessible.

If these few points are followed, a lot of the problems inherent in mirroring a site will go away, and really they are all extremely easy to do.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
address@hidden