rule-list

Re: [RULE] Which scripts to use to create RULE ISO?

From: Ingo Lantschner
Subject: Re: [RULE] Which scripts to use to create RULE ISO?
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:12:58 +0100

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:46:24 +0100, Marco Fioretti <address@hidden> wrote:

How to make a Custom Slinky ISO (like this one, the so called vum:BOX):
Quotaing Michael Fratoni  address@hidden :
To build your own ISO:
o $ cd slinky_devel
         (Poke around, change things, be careful...)

This is one piece missing, documentation wise: for example,
what if one wants to replace some packages with others (sendmail with postfix) or their updated versions, ie stuff which doesn't exist in the standard RH CDs?
well, ... , yes, ... I do not have the slightest idea how this could be done - my aproach was not to touch Michaels work and just work with a postinst.sh, which could even be used to fix some minor bugs, from the original Slinky. (Fetching missing rpms, ...)

For the future: I think we should continue this way, that the base-slinky is maintained by the Master himself, and others keep their fingers out of it. But to add f.e. Abiword2 I would install it with postinst.sh. But may be that I am completly wrong and we can find a more elegant way.

o edit version.h, define version as something NOT rule like.
         (I don't want bug reports on images I know nothing about)
o Get ready to build the images

This is the second piece missing: the  makedisk.sh script copies into
a boot floppy what is in the filesystem directory, but how do you build *that*?
With the latest slinky?
Hope that Michael can answer that - I do not know, sorry.

Bye, Ingo.