rule-list

Re: [RULE] Which scripts to use to create RULE ISO?

From: Ingo Lantschner
Subject: Re: [RULE] Which scripts to use to create RULE ISO?
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:18:16 +0100

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:38:20 +0100, Marco Fioretti <address@hidden> wrote:

I must confess that, after some months away from RULE, I don't remember
how to use/customize them. Michael (or anybody else in the list),  could
you please describe the correct sequence in which to use the stuff below,
assuming all Red Hat RPMs (including updates) were copied in some local
directory (like /opt/makerule/rpms)?

The question is, starting from scratch, do I have to run only the scripts
above (and in which order) or what else before?

I guess that what you are looking for is described in the vumBOX-Handbook on page 23 (Version 0.3.97b-vumbox-14):

 ----- snip -----

How to make a Custom Slinky ISO (like this one, the so called vum:BOX):
Quotaing Michael Fratoni  address@hidden :

Yes, you too can build ISO files for fun and (no)profit! ;)

I was thinking about this issue today at work, (while I was being paid to
be thinking of other things..), and it occurred to me that it is quite
possible for users to build their own ISO images.

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, it's really very simple.
I've created a tarball of my build tree. Scripts, base filesystem, rpm
packages, etc.

To build your own ISO:
(This does assume a linux machine, and a grasp of basic linux tools.)

o Download the tarball into your home directory.
        (I'll post it shortly, it's 36M in size,
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/rule/slinky/slinky_devel-0.3.97.tar.gz )
o $ su root.
(Required, the tarball contains device files, which can't be created by
        mortal users.)
o # tar -xvzf slinky_devel.tar.gz
o # chown -R user.user slinky_devel
        (wheruser is your user name)
o # exit
o $ cd slinky_devel
        (Poke around, change things, be careful...)
o edit version.h, define version as something NOT rule like.
        (I don't want bug reports on images I know nothing about)
o Get ready to build the images
o $ su - ( - is important, you want a login shell)
(You need root to build the images. only root can mount loop devices.)
o # cd /home/user/slinky_devel
o # ./makedisk.sh
o # ./makedisk2.sh
o # ./makepcmcia.sh
o # ./makeiso.sh
o # ls slinky_images/slinky-${version}/
You should see all the .img files, as well as the .iso.

Sound reasonable?

Hope this haelps, Ingo.