rule-list

Re: [Rule-list] Thoughts on licensing

From: Rodolfo J. Paiz
Subject: Re: [Rule-list] Thoughts on licensing
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 23:45:02 -0600

At 4/2/2002 09:31 PM -0500, Devon wrote:
Slinky is Several things:
A boot disk containing:
Busybox - GPL
uClibc - LGPL
nano - GPL
mke2fs - GPL
cfdisk - GPL
fdisk - GPL
syslinux - BSD

For the uninitiated here, can anyone tell us what are the main differences between GPL and BSD? That is, those differences about which we actually care? All I know is that most/all of the stuff I see, when I actually stop to notice licensing, seems to be GPL so I'm all in favor of keeping that one. But as you can see, this is a remarkably simplistic analysis... <grin>

The installed programs (The RPMS) We don't distribute them, they are
released by Red Hat and others under various licenses. To the best of my
knowledge, they are all released under licenses that the Free Software
Foundation lists as "GPL Compatable".

Hope you don't mind the correction... that should be "compatible".

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
address@hidden