replacementforms-discuss

Re: [Oracle Forms replacement] Ways to start this project

From: Justo Perez
Subject: Re: [Oracle Forms replacement] Ways to start this project
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 00:58:45 +0100

Its true, kexi and glom have a good look. we need a new perspective about gnuforms, because otherwise gnuforms will be useless.

El 28 de febrero de 2012 22:28, Jaroslaw Staniek <address@hidden> escribió:
On 28 February 2012 07:33, Jorge Cabezudo Perez
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Many people are still using Oracle Forms to build their tools because it's
> features to create forms fast and built-in buttons and options that every
> user normally use.
> I think that people who want an alternative to Oracle Forms must follow a
> long-term project because the evolution of the Oracle Forms software. The
> current release is 11g, web-enabled and with webutil library to enable the
> web-forms access to web-client resources.
> Advanced Oracle Forms programmers must give their knolwedge about this
> product to the best skilled programmers in java or another client-server
> language.
> Forms has an API which can be a start to emulate their functionality. People
> can write the same functions with differents names.
> Also we can use the XML format of the forms builder for reverse-engineer the
> format.
> Oracle Forms has the ability to use another database because of its
> transaction and database triggers replacement.
> Hope people give a chance to start this interesting project.

Hello,
As an productive alternative to restarting efforts, I propose looking
at Kexi or Glom projects (in no particular order or depending on your
preference) and express your opinions on what directions would you
like to see in these projects.

These are all free software projects. The DB independence is assured
by the Predicate project in Kexi. XML definition for forms and reports
is close to the one offered by OpenDocument. Most of requirements or
ideas mentioned on this list is already addressed or possible to
address without major conflicts with the actual assumptions set in the
projects.

--
regards / pozdrawiam, Jaroslaw Staniek
 http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstaniek