replacementforms-discuss

Re: [Oracle Forms replacement] Ways to start this project

From: Jorge Cabezudo Perez
Subject: Re: [Oracle Forms replacement] Ways to start this project
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:55:47 -0500

It also could be called GNU Forms or something like that, using an open source database is a must, people that could be part of the project should assume an specific role, for example, arquitect, programmers, project leaders, dba, etc.

The tools we know exist in the commercial release are:
Forms Builder
Forms Compiler
Forms Runtime (now using an application server)
Forms Converter
Reports Builder
Reports Converter

The software was developed using C/C++ and then Java plus AWT/Swing. The advantage of using PL/SQL inside the Forms Builder is one of the powerful features to build programs faster.

I know that postgress use a similar language and there is a commercial implementation called Enterprise DB which serves like an Oracle replacement for non-critical implementations of Oracle.

The core or kernel of the Forms is a CRUD engine that only needs the name of the tables that the application use. If we can build a program with these feature, it could be a good start point. There is no need of a Builder, we can use ascii text file to implement the forms (or XML), one of the options would be the database, the connection (JDBC?) and so on.