Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup performance -- slow operation on i

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup performance -- slow operation on initial backup?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 08:13:31 -0400

Dominic Raferd <address@hidden> writes:

> It doesn't sound like rdiff-backup is the culprit here. You could try
> hpn-ssh https://sourceforge.net/projects/hpnssh/ ?

I would be very surprised if normal people have networks available that
really need hpn-ssh, and 2 MB/s is not that fast.  urely rsync and
rdiff-backup are running over ssh, so that should have the same
transport properties.

I would up the send/receive socket buffers (because it's easy, not
because I think that's the problem), and watch disk/cpu on both sides,
and also run netstat to see if data is piling up in the transmit socket
buffer.

FWIW, I used to use rdiff-backup but found it to be nonrobust on
machines with limited (only a few GB) RAM and hundreds of GB of backup.
I have switched to bup.