Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup performance -- slow operation on i

From: Derek Atkins
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup performance -- slow operation on initial backup?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:56:44 -0400

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to look at this..

On Mon, March 28, 2016 10:41 am, Dominic Raferd wrote:
> Is this really your first rdiff-backup to this location? If you have any
> previous rdiff-backup runs to this repository then the situation is
> complicated by rdiff-backup's need to create a new set of reverse diff
> files to be able to regress to previous file contents.

Yes, this s really the first rdiff-backup to this location.

A second backup run shortly after the first one completed finished in 55
minutes.

> What is your /tmp location? rdiff-backup uses this location for some
> operations though not AFAIK for standard backup runs. Still, if /tmp is on
> encfs maybe it could be a culprit; you can override rdiff-backup's
> temporary file location with --tempdir and --remote-tempdir.

If it is truly /tmp then no; /tmp is a ramdisk on the backup server and is
on the root disk on the target server.  Neither are being run through
encfs.

If, however, you mean the rdiff-backup-data.tmp files, those ARE being run
through encfs.

> Might also be worth trying --ssh-no-compression.

I already have "Compression no" set in ~/.ssh/config so I'm not sure what
this would add?

> Dominic
> http://www.timedicer.co.uk

-derek

PS: I'm running a raw rsync command now just to see how it behaves -- so
far I'm only seeing about 2MB/s, but it's only been running for 10 minutes
or so.