Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup performance -- slow operation on i

From: Patrik Dufresne
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup performance -- slow operation on initial backup?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:47:44 -0400

I you want to spent some time debuging this this issue. It might be helpful to run a profiler.

python -m cProfile -o data.prof /usr/bin/rdiff-backup source destination

Then send us the data.prof. I will use `snakeviz data.prof` to visualize the data.

--
Patrik Dufresne Service Logiciel inc.
http://www.patrikdufresne.com/

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 1:30 PM, Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

"Derek Atkins" <address@hidden> writes:

> ... according to repeated netstat the socket buffers are GENERALLY 0,0.  I
> did see it get up to about 1000, at one point...  OH, I take that back,
> the SEND Queue value was just up to 243816 on the target system....

If it bursts and comes back, it's probably fine, and many systems
dynamically size the buffers.  This is unlikely to be the issue in a LAN
environment - more like when you have 100 Mb/s pipes and 70ms latencies.

>>> Unfortunately bup is not available on all my target platforms.
>>
>> bup is python with a little C, and thus seems pretty portable.   Where
>> isn't it working?
>
> Didn't say it wasn't working.  I said "it is not available", meaning there
> is no prepackaged RPM for some of my systems.  I could certainly try to
> piece it together, but of course I prefer to use distro-supplied software
> wherever possible.  It makes upgrading much easier.

I see.  (It's in pkgsrc, which builds pretty much everywhere, but that
gets you into a second packaging system.)

>> amanda is basically wrappers around dump and tar.  If you have 50
>> machines and want to do level 0/1/2 to tape and take tapes offsite, it
>> works great, after you pay for the LTO tape drive.
>
> I don't have 50 machines.  I do have ~10-15.  Pretty much all Linux boxes.
>  Not using tape; backups are all on spinning media.

amanda can cope with that (files on disk that are virtual tapes), but
I'm not at all sure it's the right approach for you.

Good luck figuring out where your bottleneck is.