Re: [rdiff-backup-users] fuzzy match - moved/renamed

From: Dave Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] fuzzy match - moved/renamed
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 11:57:12 +1100 (EST)

From: "David" <address@hidden>

Are there plans to implement fuzzy match or similar algorithms to match
files moved/renamed files?

Tracking moves has been discussed at length in the past, and we haven't been able to see a way past the very expensive calculation of checksums to match files.
I think that disk is cheaper than time or cpu usage, so it hasn't been possible to do this easily.
If you dig through the archives tracking moves has been discussed.

As for other products and rdiff-backup maintainership, its working for me just fine. We intend to use it until we run into something that requires fixing.
If there is a body of work that needs to be done to get it up to some modern standard (say Python3) I'm happy to consider sponsoring it even.

thanks
Dave