Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Why do I see a huge variation in the time rdiff

From: Adrian Klaver
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Why do I see a huge variation in the time rdiff-backup takes?
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 15:42:22 -0700

On 03/31/2015 03:37 PM, Segundo Bob wrote:
On 03/30/2015 07:39 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
Any change in the recorded metadata for a file will cause rdiff-backup
to do a time-consuming diff of the old and new files. For files with
just a single link, that data includes ModTime, Uid, Uname, Gid, Gname,
and Permissions.

Thank you.  I think this explains why rdiff-backup mistakenly thought
that 98.7% of my files had been changed.

Between 2015-03-22 Sun and 2015-03-29 Sun, I switched from Xubuntu32
12.04 to Xubuntu64 14.04.  Below I list the file uid, uname, gid, and
gname for about 98.7% of the files backed up in each rdiff-backup run:

Xubuntu32 12.04
     uid 1000
     uname bob05
     gid 1000
     gname bob05

Xubuntu64 14:04
     uid 1000
     uname bob06
     gid 1000
     gname bob06

That is, the uname and gname changed for 98.7% of the files.  This
caused rdiff-backup to needlessly compare 98.7% of the files and to find
very few of them changed.

Perhaps uname and gname should not be included in the metadata?  They
are not part of the data stored in the file or the file's directory entry.

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup.1.html

--preserve-numerical-ids
If set, rdiff-backup will preserve uids/gids instead of trying to preserve unames and gnames. See the USERS AND GROUPS section
              for more information.

I would also read the USERS AND GROUPS section for the caveats and other ways to deal with this.

In the future, I will start a new archive file whenever I change from
one system-boot to another, if my uname or gname differs between the two
systems.

Thank you very much for your help.

--
Adrian Klaver