Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Weird behavior of rdiff-backup : founding diffs

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Weird behavior of rdiff-backup : founding diffs while there isn't
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 08:38:33 -0600

On 11/20/2012 02:53 AM, address@hidden wrote:
I also think problem is definitely LDAP, more precisely that machine is not able
to get access to LDAP server during a time lap.
And I think I found the reason (actually when waking up on this morning (seems
it was good to sleep on it). ;-)
The 2 machines are starting their respective backup at the same hour and the one
with the LDAP server is shutting it down during backup (voluntarily) to prevent
partial/corrupted data backup.
Thus the other machine is probably not able to resolve user names during a small

So a good way to fix the issue will probably to postpone one the backup to an
hour where I'm sure that the other one is no more running.

I would say there is no "probably" about it.  Another option might be to put the
database in read-only mode during the backup and then restart the server in
read/write mode afterward, but that would still leave a momentary gap in service
while the server is being restarted.  You might need to delay the restart until
_both_ backups were complete.  I'm no LDAP expert (never used it, in fact), so
take that with a grain (or two) of salt.

However I think that the "--preserve-numerical-ids" option that you suggested
can also do the job. So I have add it to the rdiff-backup so it will be tested
during next backup.
Then only I will time shift one of the backup, but if the option is well
working, that will be an extra data-safety feature.

As I said, I have doubts about whether that will help.  The names are still
recorded in the mirror_metadata file even when "--preserve-numerical-ids" is

So I'm more than very thankful to you for all your complete and helpful answers.

No problem.  Those of us who lurk on this list do it because we enjoy
tracking down issues like this.

                Do NOT delete it.