Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Weird behavior of rdiff-backup : founding diffs

From: Matthieu . Rioteau
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Weird behavior of rdiff-backup : founding diffs while there isn't
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 09:50:30 +0100

Hi Bob,

I'll try the option you mentioned to check if it can solve the problem.

I've got some more clues after this weekend.

Of course, nobody has connected to the machine (i.e. open a session)
during the weekend.
But on each evening when backup was running, the complete (on almost
complete) /home/ folder of one (and only one) of the users was viewed by
rdiff-backup as changed (in the same way I described in my former email,
i.e. a IncrementSize of some bytes & no actual change).

Should I suspect some Kubuntu service to create this weird things ?
(something like updatedb.mlocate, even if I doubt on this particular one).

Thanks for help.

Regards,
Matthieu

> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Date: 17/11/2012 23:24
> Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Weird behavior of rdiff-backup :
> founding diffs while there isn't
> Sent by: address@hidden
>
> On 11/16/2012 04:21 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> > Consider I already have 2 backups done on a daily basis (let me call
them
> > A and B chronologically -- thus B is the current mirror).
> >
> > I run 'rdiff-backup --compare' just before backing up : it returns "no
> > changes"
> >
> > I run the back up and here rdiff-backup finds thousand of files that
have
> > changed (viewed from session statistics) !!!
> > This backup is called C and is the new mirror.
> >
> > When I look at the file statistics, a lot of files are marked as
changed.
> > The first weird thing here is that IncrementSize is not null while
> > SourceSize and MirrorSize are identical (IncrementSize is always a
small
> > number -<128 -).
> >
> > For example : home/USER/.kde/share/config/katerc 1 67 67 66
>
> By any chance are these all files with multiple hard links, and if so,
does
> this excerpt from the rdiff-backup manpage shed any light:
>
>      --no-compare-inode
>         This  option  prevents rdiff-backup from flagging a hardlinked
file
>         as changed when its  device  number  and/or  inode  changes.
This