Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Robustness to errors during backup

From: Frederik
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Robustness to errors during backup
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:14:01 +0200

On 6/26/07, Charles Duffy <address@hidden> wrote:
Frederik wrote:
> IOError: CRC check failed
>
> So I see no way to recover any of the increments.

In over 12,000 rdiff-backup sessions, I have yet to encounter that issue
or anything like it (in terms of unrecoverability).

I'm with Maarten -- check your hardware.

Like I said: my problem is not that my backup is corrupted, I know
that this is not rdiff-backup's fault.

What is rdiff-backup's problem though, is that it cannot continue to
make any new backup now, without removing all of the old backups. Even
in the worst case nothing can be recovered, rdiff-backup should simply
say so, and automatically create a new full backup, either throwing
away the invalid increments, either keeping them, knowing that they
actually are not useful anymore, but will be deleted anyway by the
operator once they are old enough.

--
Frederik