Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Robustness to errors during backup

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Robustness to errors during backup
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 05:20:04 -0500

Frederik wrote:
Yes, it's normal that it fails in these cases. But it's not normal
that it is not able to recover from it without removing all
increments. For example, in case of corruption, it should ignore all
corrupted files, but it should not completely prevent creating new
backups or prevent restoring correct backups. Now it seems all
rdiff-backup operations are completely blocked until you manually
remove all increments, even of files which are not corrupted. This is
unacceptable for me. I had never such experiences with Bacula.

And I've never had such experiences with rdiff-backup -- and I have a very large number of servers using it on a nightly basis, and my backup server has run out of space (or had filesystem corruption) more than once. Are you sure that you're using it correctly?

Does --check-destination-dir remove increments on you, or do you get some kind of error even after using --check-destination-dir?