Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Robustness to errors during backup

From: Xavier Bertou
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Robustness to errors during backup
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:30:28 -0500

Just to get things into perspective:
If, by some external force, e.g. lightning strikes the building, your
backup tapes get de-magnetized... Would you expect the tape drive
manufacturer to provide means to automagically detect this and continue
working with a faulty tape, at the risk of screwing up your backup
strategy even further?

Never heard of this happenning. If you read the archive of this
mailing list, you'll see that the problem we are talking about
happenned to a few different users all around the world. There is even
a semi-official work around.
We know it is free software and it takes time to and efforts to do
things. Maybe just not "kind of ignoring" the problem and having
--check-destination-disk instead of crashing emitting a message
"You're fucked up, do you want me to try to do some magic to solve the
problem - warning, can get worse... etc..." and do the rm `find empty
gz` stuff.
I think if some people are still on this list while using something
else for their backup it's because they liked rdiff-backup, but just
couldn't use it.
Cheers,
--
Xavier