Re: [rdiff-backup-users] users on remote machines (uid and gid)

From: Keith Edmunds
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] users on remote machines (uid and gid)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 01:23:30 +0000

Vadim Kouzmine wrote:
When using rdiff-backup (which I have not yet done) is it necessary
that all remote machines have the same users as the local machine?

No.

Moreover, do each of these users and groups on remote machines have to
have the same UID and GID?

No.

Another question - is there any analogy for rsync's --numeric-ids?
Making full backup of the the system, I prefer to preserve numeric IDs.
According to man page, I can provide mapping files, but what if just
want no mapping at all?

This is free software. You need to try it out. If you have problems when you do, we'll help. The price you pay for free software is either you read the documentation and experiment or you pay (real money) and have someone set it up for you.

Good luck!

Keith

--
Keith Edmunds

|  Tiger Computing Ltd  |  Helping businesses make the most of Linux  |
|  "The Linux Company"  |       http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk      |