Re: [rdiff-backup-users] users on remote machines (uid and gid)

From: Keith Edmunds
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] users on remote machines (uid and gid)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:40:02 +0000

Vadim Kouzmine wrote:
Let me explain why I asked this.
I re-read man page many times. I learned that default behavior is:
- map user/group names and fall back to numeric IDs if no match;
- provide mapping files to change default mappings.

Sorry, I didn't realise that the first two questions were not from you. My point, however, remains: a couple of hours TRYING this would show you how it works. However: if rdiff-backup does not have root privileges on the machine receiving the backup then it will store UID/GID data as part of the metadata. Upon restoring a file, it will restore the UID/GID. There is no need to map UID/GID on the system receiving the backup under normal circumstances.

There are many ways of doing this in practice. One way - the way I do it - is to have the backup process run as root on the source machines so that it can read all files, but to run it as a non-privileged user on the backup server (receiving the backup). Restoration works exactly the same way, and UID/GID is restored.

Keith