Re: [rdiff-backup-users] users on remote machines (uid and gid)

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] users on remote machines (uid and gid)
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:47:49 -0500

Vadim Kouzmine wrote:

> Compare rdiff-backup, tar and rsync: all three map UID/GID by default
> and fall back to numeric ID when name has no match. But rsync has
> --numeric-ids, and tar has --numeric-owner. rdiff-backup has ???

Forgive me if you've already investigated this, but did you try
--preserve-numerical-ids ?

>From the man page:
 If  the  --preserve-numerical-ids  option  is  given, the remote
 files will always have the same uid and gid, both for  ownership
 and ACL entries.  This may cause unames and gnames to change.

Andrew

--
Andrew Ferguson - address@hidden