Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 1.1.2 testing - problems

From: Kevin Horton
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 1.1.2 testing - problems
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:00:08 -0500

On 19 Nov 2005, at 24:21, Ben Escoto wrote:

Kevin Horton <address@hidden>
wrote the following on Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:39:49 -0500

Hmm, I don't really know what could be the problem.  My one thought is
that there might be a problem with python's gzip on your system.  I've
written a little gzip script on your system, you can download it at:

https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/download.php? item_id=15006&item_file_id=3111

Once saved you can:

chmod 755 gzip-python
./gzip-python <file>

and it will work a bit like gzip, writing a compressed version of
<file> to <file>.gz.  So I'd be interested to see if you can compress
files (including large files, like 4GB+ files) that decompress to the
correct original files.

I did a whole bunch of testing using the above gzip-python script. There is indeed a problem somewhere with large files. I got a high failure rate with large (5.7 GB) files using fink's python 2.4.2 and also with Apple's stock python 2.3.5. I will take this up in another forum.

I'm giving up on rdiff-backup for now, as it seems that there are python issues on OS X that make it unreliable for me. I am prepared to help out with testing in my spare time, and I hope to be using rdiff-backup again someday.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada