Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 1.1.2 testing - problems

From: Kevin Horton
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 1.1.2 testing - problems
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 12:57:44 -0500

On 13 Nov 2005, at 11:54, Ben Escoto wrote:

Kevin Horton <address@hidden>
wrote the following on Sun, 13 Nov 2005 08:39:19 -0500

I added the above patch, then did some tests, starting with a small
directory to backup, and adding a bunch of files after each
successful backup.  I've finally gotten a failure, and it looks
different than any I remember from before, so I'm reporting it now
(TypeError: Non-hexadecimal digit found).

Writing mirror_metadata diff
TypeError: Non-hexadecimal digit found

This is another error reading the metadata file.  In the
rdiff-backup-data directory there should be two mirror_metadata
snapshots, and some diffs.  One of the diffs should be only half
written, but the two snapshots should be intact.  Do they validate
correctly with gzip -t and look normal at the end if you just view
them?  If so, try:

zcat mirror_metadata.<time>.snapshot.gz | grep ResourceFork

to see the resource fork lines.  Anything weird there?  All the lines
should look like one of these two:

ResourceFork None
ResourceFork <hex data>

If there are too many lines to look through manually easily, you could
use this logging patch, so you can see what data it's having a problem
with.

<-- patch snipped -->

There are actually three mirror_metadata snapshots. The first two are OK with gzip -t and zcat, but the last one is corrupted (and huge - 81 Megs).

The ResourceFork lines in the first two look normal, but the third one is so big that I can't really look at (251 Meg of ResourceFork lines). I'll add the logging patch and try again with the original input directory.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada