Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 1.1.2 testing - problems

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup 1.1.2 testing - problems
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 23:14:39 -0600

> Rdiff-backup 1.1.2 worked great to make a new backup, but I can't get
> it to add an increment.  I've tried twice, and both times it failed.
> I watched it after the first failure, and it do revert the backup.
>
> The first failure ended with:
>    File "/sw/lib/python2.4/gzip.py", line 309, in _read_eof
>      raise IOError, "CRC check failed"
> IOError: CRC check failed

Hmm I have no idea about this.  It seems rdiff-backup is writing
corrupt mirror_metadata files even when the session succeeds.
(Earlier I thought they might have gotten corrupted in some crash
somehow, but it seems to be an unrelated problem.)

Offhand the only thing I can think of is a bug in python's gzip
library.  Can you try making a very simple rdiff-backup repository on
any relevant computers?  Try something like:

mkdir input
cat /dev/null > input/file
rdiff-backup input output
touch input/file
rdiff-backup input output

If that works, try a slightly bigger volume, and see if you notice a
pattern.  If that doesn't work, I could write a very simple gzip
python test, and we would know it's not rdiff-backup's problem.

> AssertionError: File /Volumes/Ext_BU/Users/kwh/rdiffbu_112_carbonfile/
> rdiff-backup-data/mirror_metadata.2005-11-06T09:56:15-05:00.diff.gz
> already exists!

The new hash related regress code is forgetting to delete a file,
This patch should fix that, but won't fix the main problem:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/rdiff-backup/rdiff-backup/rdiff_backup/regress.py.diff?r2=1.16&r1=1.15&diff_format=u