Re: [rdiff-backup-users] key error - crash on certain file

From: David Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] key error - crash on certain file
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:54:08 +1100

Ben Escoto wrote:
This may be a silly question, but is possible there are two files in
your directory that have exactly the same name (I've seen it before
but think it's some kind of directory bug)?  As in, maybe

cd raid5/Support/temp/lisa/Local Settings/Temporary Internet
Files/Content.IE5/IVUDKFUP
ls

shows MumsDay_105x85[1].gif twice?

you know what, there is!
a whole bunch of them:

msn_logo_small[1].gif
msn_logo_small[1].gif
MumsDay_105x85[1].gif
MumsDay_105x85[1].gif
music15[1].gif
music15[1].gif
music_icon[1].gif
music_icon[1].gif
music_lovers_nh[1].jpg
music_lovers_nh[1].jpg
nav01r[1].gif

I don't know how to count them, but there would be hundreds of files with exactly the same name in this directory.

After doing some more troubleshooting, it must be an smbfs bug - when I mount it with cifs on a 2.6 kernel system, it works fine. Damn smbfs. I am going to have to upgrade this kernel now. Or you could fix it so that if for some bizarre reason if rdiff-backup encounters two identical files in the one directory, it doesn't crash, and only backs up one of them :)
its going to hard for me to upgrade this kernel, but I can do it.

thanks

dave