[rdiff-backup-users] Getting info about the backups

Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Getting info about the backups
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 23:17:03 -0800 (PST)

Hey guys.
One of my servers was compromised the other day.  I backup the system using rdiff-backup.  I was thinking that it is a GREAT tool for auditing what the hacker did to the files on the system.  However, I'm not really certain on the best ways of getting that information about of rdiff-backup

I know at this time there isn't some web GUI that I can install to see what has changed.  However, I'm not even sure how to do it using the command line arguments.  What commands would you guys do if you knew that your system was compromised... and had rdiffbackups with an idea of when the breakin occurred?

I've been waiting for someone to step up and develop a free web GUI for the rdiff-backup system... but it looks like there are no real takers yet.  Some commerical ones... but I really think a free tool deserves a free GUI.  So maybe I'll give it a whirl.

I remember reading somewhere that there was a XML output option for rdiff-backup but I don't see it in the man pages.  Can someone please let me know what is the best way of getting information about the backup from rdiff-backup?  (I would like to use the XML interface if this exists... just doesn't seem to be documented if it is)  I could simply read the data directory... but I don't think this is the way to go because if the data directory changes or major restructuring happens... the GUI becomes useless.

If rdiff-backup doesn't have an XML output, would someone be willing to write some XML routines into rdiff-backup for use in my GUI?

Lemme know,
Dave Horner