[rdiff-backup-users] OS X to Linux failure with quoted characters

From: Blair Zajac
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] OS X to Linux failure with quoted characters
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 11:17:49 -0800

Hello,

I'm backing up my OS X box to a Linux box with rdiff-backup 1.1.0 and using a command line like:

$ rdiff-backup -b --override-chars-to-quote '' dir address@hidden::dir

The first time I do this, the backup succeeds, but the next time I run the exact same command, I get this failure:

Fatal Error: New quoting requirements!

The quoting chars this session needs (A-Z;) do not match
the repository settings () listed in

dir/rdiff-backup-data/chars_to_quote

This may be caused when you copy an rdiff-backup repository from a
normal file system onto a windows one that cannot support the same
characters, or if you backup a case-sensitive file system onto a
case-insensitive one that previously only had case-insensitive ones
backed up onto it.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/X11/rdiff-backup", line 23, in ?
    rdiff_backup.Main.Main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 293, in
Main
    take_action(rps)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/Main.py", line 261, in take_action
    connection.PipeConnection(sys.stdin, sys.stdout).Server()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 352, in Server
    self.get_response(-1)
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 314, in get_response
    try: req_num, object = self._get()
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/rdiff_backup/connection.py", line 230, in _get
    raise ConnectionReadError("Truncated header string (problem "
rdiff_backup.connection.ConnectionReadError: Truncated header string (problem probably originated remotely)

Should I stop using the --override-chars-to-quote ''? I would rather not see quoted characters on the Linux box in case I want to just cd around there and pull a file back by hand, as the quoted characters make it harder.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.