Re: [rdiff-backup-users] logarithmic scheduling

From: David Kempe
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] logarithmic scheduling
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:50:43 +1100

Alec Berryman wrote:
Python is no less portable than Perl.  rdiff-backup can run on Windows
(+cygwin), as it says on the front page.  I'd guess that it runs
without cygwin as long as SFU is installed, but I've never tested
that.

I doubt it does. rdiff-backup librsync functions are very unix like and require the cgywin way of handling things. SFU doesn't provide anywhere near enough functionality for it to run. I haven't actually tried it either, but I have tried to get rdiff-backup to run on native python. The librsync module just won't compile without a complete rewrite that takes out all the unixisms.
btw, if you want rdiff-backup packages for windows you can get them here:

http://sol1.net/~dave/backup/

rdiff-backup is win32->unix only at this stage (unix<->unix) is fine.
quite possible we could make a win32 compatible version of rdiff-backup, but I don't have the resources for that yet.
dave