Re: [rdiff-backup-users] logarithmic scheduling

From: Rainer Zocholl
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] logarithmic scheduling
Date: 13 Dec 2004 01:47:00 +0100

address@hidden(Sherrard Burton)  12.12.04 18:20

>Alec Berryman wrote:
>> begin  quotation of Rainer Zocholl on 2004-12-12 22:17:00 +0100:
>>

>>>Can this be done with rdiff-backup ?
>>

>> rdiff-backup has no concept of backup levels and cannot selectively
>> purge revisions.  If you want to emulate backup levels with
>> rdiff-backup, you're going to need a lot more space and use a
>> separate backup location for each level, which more or less negates
>> any benefit gained from using levels.
>>
>> I'm not sure that implementing backup levels in rdiff-backup would
>> provide a huge space savings - rdiff-backup just stores the
>> difference between two revisions, and if the file doesn't change
>> much, no big deal, small diff.

Yes. But if it changes a lot over a longer time interval
the (meantime unneeded) diffs may eat more space than
a "full" backup.

It's not very likely that i need the archived version exactly
1999, 11 Juli 9:00. Most likely i'll be happy with the version
31 Dezember 1999 from the "archive".

>and it's probably worth noting, just for clarity, that the reason that
>rdiff-backup couldn't have this functionality is because of the nature
>of incremental backups. since each backup is based on a diff from the
>most recent one before it, they are like a chain.

Yepp.

>if you break one link (delete any file in the middle)
>your chain is useless.

Except i could use some kind of "back annotation"/"renumbering"
that allows to delete steps between (by loosing the
ability to convert to that versions, of course).

Rainer---<=====>                         Vertraulich
             //
           //