Re: [rdiff-backup-users] some questions, web interface, etc.

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] some questions, web interface, etc.
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 12:35:23 -0700

> 1) No compression on the files that it recieves. All the diffs are
> compressed but not the actual current pool. I want to backup a *lot*
> of servers and need all files to be compressed to save disk space.
> As to the compression problem, I was thinking of making it so that
> any new files that are transferred will get compressed and prepend
> the filename with a couple of characters that identify them being
> compressed. When a user goes to the web interface, then these first
> couple of characters will be stripped as to not confuse the
> user. When they choose to restore file(s), it will automatically
> uncompress them and then send the files compressed down the pipe.

This has been requested before but I think it would be non-trival to
add, and moves away from the "mirror" idea.  Then again, when people
back up a unix FSs to fat there isn't much of a mirror: the filenames
end up quoted, and lots of things are missing from the mirror
(ownership, extended attributes, etc.).  So maybe this would be worth
adding later.

In the meantime you could consider putting the mirror on a compressed
filesystem.  I think this would have all the benefits, and possibly be
cleaner, than having rdiff-backup compress the mirror files.