Re: [RP] Re: Another fix

From: John Meacham
Subject: Re: [RP] Re: Another fix
Date: Tue Jul 15 05:58:02 2003

Yeah, it was determined to be a xterm bug by the ion-devel people at
some point. I am just curious why it always occurs on one of my machines
and never on the other. both versions of xterm act the same on each
system. the only thing i can think of is that xfree 4.3 orders/generates
events somewhat differently than 4.2. AFAIK the problem is caused by
xterm generating SIGWINCHs on ConfigureNotify's. however if during a
substructure redirect the window is just created at a different size
then it never gets a configurenotify since the configuration never
changed. (even though it is different than xterm expects). there are
several work arounds i can think of,

1) XSendEvent a ConfigureNotify to windows after creation if their size
does not match their requested size. this might not work if the app
ignores user events.
2) create the window in its asked for size, then resize it. if this is
done when the window is unmapped it should not cause any visual
artifacts. (hopefully the server won't optimize these away, we might
have to sprinkle some XSyncs in there)
3) figure out why it works properly on my home machine and duplicate
that :). (I'll handle this prong of the attack)
        John

PS. it should be noted that gvim has the same bug, set guiheadroom=0
does fix it, but that is just treating the symtom, the underlying bug is
still there. I will notify the appropriate vim folks.