qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding Save States menu items

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding Save States menu items
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 10:14:04 +0100

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 09:21:36AM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> > > Virt-manager is a Linux exclusive. This program doesn't run on Windows or
> > > Mac OS.
> >
> > Not true. I've seen it ported to Windows, and I'm sure Cole would
> > welcome a port to Mac.
>
> I don't think that included a port of libvirtd, so you'd still need a
> Linux system to run the VMs on.

I would expect libvirtd to pretty much "just work" for the most part.
Any part of libvirt which depends on Linux specific APIs has conditional
compilation, or portability layers. OS-X is BSD underneath so majority
of functionality will trivially work - unlike windows where making libvirtd
work is very hard due to missing fork/exec paradigm. There's likely to be
gremlins hiding in the libvirt QEMU driver just because 99% of all work is
done in Linux, but we'd be more than happy with patches to fix any OS-X
portability problems.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|