qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding Save States menu items

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding Save States menu items
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 13:43:08 -0400

On Oct 6, 2016, at 12:17 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 06/10/2016 18:04, Programmingkid wrote:
>> 'Save State...' would call something equivalent to the monitor command
>> savevm.
>> It would display a dialog box asking to give a name to this save. The default
>> name would probably be "save state mm-dd-yyyy - n". The m,d,y stand
>> for month, day, and year respectively. The n would be the save state
>> count for that day.
>>
>> 'Restore state...' would probably display a dialog box with all the save
>> states displayed in a list. The user could select one of them and
>> QEMU would restore that state.
>
> These are of course savevm and loadvm.
>
>> 'Manage Save States...' would display a dialog box with all the saves
>> states displayed in a list. There would be buttons on the bottom called
>> "Delete", "Rename",
>> and "Duplicate". They would give the user the options that can
>> be done to each save state. The Delete button would correspond to
>> the monitor command delvm "name". Rename and Duplicate would have to
>> be researched a little more before I can say how they would be implemented.
>
> I think Delete is enough.
>
>> Code in the gui would detect if the hard drive image was in a format that
>> supported save states. The menu items would probably be grayed out if
>> save states could not work with the current HD image file.
>
> Ok, this makes sense.  Thanks for explaining it!  I think this would be
> nice to have in the GTK+ interface.
>
> Paolo

@ Paolo Thanks for the help.

@ Peter I don't know how to implement this in GTK. The GTK GUI maintainer
doesn't even
reply to my emails. Could we start this in Cocoa and then port it to GTK? I
think
the time is right. QEMU has progressed to the point that the save and restore
feature works. A lot of users would appreciate this feature if it were more
accessible.