qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding Save States menu items

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding Save States menu items
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 10:46:40 +0200

Am 06.10.2016 um 21:59 hat Eric Blake geschrieben:
> Libvirt also learned that the qemu 'migrate-to-disk' format (used by
> 'savevm' or 'migrate') is NOT self-descriptive - in order to fully and
> safely revert to an earlier state, you HAVE to store the command line
> (or a way to regenerate the command line) that was associated with the
> qemu whose state you saved, along with tracking all hotplugs.  Since a
> mere 'savevm' REQUIRES external information to safely be restored, you
> would have to figure out a way to store this additional information
> alongside whatever save files you plan on creating (and please don't
> change the qcow2 file format to become a dumping grounds for this
> additional information).

Have we made any progress regarding this in the past few years? I know
we once intended to get to a state where the migration stream could
include information about which devices exist in the first place.

I guess that's somehow linked to the idea of starting with an empty
machine and then creating all devices and backends with QMP rather than
the command line before actually starting the VM.

Kevin