qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC Proposal: ARM Virtualization Extensions

From: Merten Sach
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC Proposal: ARM Virtualization Extensions
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 23:09:29 +0100

On 24/03/15 14:47, Sergey Fedorov wrote:
> On 23.03.2015 04:29, Merten Sach wrote:
>> On 21/03/15 04:16, Sergey Fedorov wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I am currently working on AArch64 EL2 support. There is a plan to submit
>>> the changes to the community. Merten, IIUYC, you are going to support
>>> only AArch32 EL2?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Sergey
>> Hi
>>
>> Yes, my intention is to focus on AArch32 as I'm more familiar with that
>> architecture.
>>
>> Thanks for the insight into the current state. As I understand, some parts of
>> AArch64 and AArch32 EL2 modes share a some functionality. For example,
>> * VGIC - compatible
>> * Exception Routing - different interface but same function
>> * Pagetable format - implemented with LPAE
>> * Generic Timer - different interface but same function
>>
>> Are these assumptions correct? I hope I didn't simplify it to much.
>>
>> And also: does it make sense to work with your code? Are you planing to
>> commit
>> the changes before May?
>>
>> Would someone mentor this project?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Merten
>>

> Hi,
>
> I didn't investigate the difference between AArch64 and AArch32. But I
> believe that AArch64 should be better structured. As of GIC and Generic
> Timer, I think you are right.
>
> I plan to start committing it in coherent chunks as soon as I can. And
> yes, I hope I finish it before May.
>
> Best regards,
> Sergey

Hi,

thanks for all your answers.

Sorry that I ask the same question again: would someone mentor this project? I
guess if not it makes no sense to hand in the proposal. :-(

After reading the answers by Sergey and Edgar, I'm unsure if the amount of work
is adequate for 12 weeks. Many AArch32 registers just map flat to their AArch64
counterpart and the function are mostly the same. I got the impression that
mostly fixing interfaces is not enough for GSoC.

Best regards
Merten