qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC Proposal: ARM Virtualization Extensions

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC Proposal: ARM Virtualization Extensions
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 17:44:48 +0000

On 20 March 2015 at 17:25, Merten Sach <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm interested in participating in this years edition of Google Summer of
> Code.

> Initially I wanted to propose the implementation of ARMv7
> virtualization extensions. I know this is not supported at the moment.
> Also based on the documentation I found I thought it is still untouched.
> However, when I looked at git log I saw that there is some preparation
> to include EL2 support (LPAE, nested paging preparation, etc).

Yes, we have put in some initial foundational changes but
actual support is still missing. Edgar, can you remind me
whether you have some pending patches for EL2 support still?

> Is there demand for a GSoC project to further ARM virtualization
> extension support?

We would certainly like to see virtualization emulation
supported in upstream QEMU. I think my main areas of
concern would be:
 * working with any existing code that Edgar has up his sleeve
 * having a project plan that divides the work up into small
   but coherent chunks that can be landed upstream incrementally
   (to avoid the failure mode of "work all summer but don't
   get it finished, and so don't have anything concrete
   to show for it at the end")

thanks
-- PMM