qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] vNVRAM / blobstore design

From: Stefan Berger
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] vNVRAM / blobstore design
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:46:32 -0400

On 03/27/2013 12:12 PM, Joel Schopp wrote:

Yea it's not hard to invent a random format each time we write something
on disk.

But I think ASN.1 BER will be useful to have in qemu anyway. E.g. it's a
better format for migration than what we have now.  Once we have it in
tree re-using it seems cleaner than maintaining some per-TPM thing.

The asn.1 patches that have been posted seem to be getting a cool reception. If people think asn.1 is the way to go some more review comments, acked-bys, reviewed-bys, or signed-off-bys would make that more likely to happen. The patches have gone through several rounds of review and come with a decent set of tests but still haven't been merged. I think they are very mergable.

Let me post another version that makes all the tests in test-visitor-serialize pass, including the ones using visit_optional.

I also think they are mergeable, but we should discuss a few aspects around it. There are standards behind this that we may or may not need to implement as such. I am thinking of CER encoding for example that imposes restrictions on the size of primitive elements to be less than 1000 bytes (section 9.2) and need constructed encoding when bigger. We may be able to change this limit to PAGE_SIZE * n with n = ?. There may be other aspects.

Stefan