qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Binary translation (of code)

From: Tarmo Pikaro
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Binary translation (of code)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 11:13:48 -0700 (PDT)

Message: 3
Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 21:41:15 +0200
From: Llu?s <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Tarmo Pikaro writes:

> Hi !
>> > I think self-modifying?code is kinda rare case - it's made typically for
>> > protection againt?hackers , and?typically on pc side. Nintendo?roms
probably
>> > don't use this kind of
>> > protection.
>>
>> It doesn't have to be protection, for example GCC generates
>> trampolines to stack when using nested functions.

> Ok, so apparently we will have some challenges on the way.

> I guess some sort of mutation - qemu + recompiler could be done as well...

> It would be much easier to ship an executable containing both the guest
> application and qemu, so that executing it starts qemu with a
> pre-defined configuration and runs the guest binary.

- Binary recompilation would allow faster execution than emulated code

- qemu constantly changes (based on amount of patches provided in this
mail list) - in order to keep image+qemu working - simplest way is to convert
into
executable. Btw - qemu could be used as a bootstrap to image as well.
:-)

- And finally modular "emulation" - it would be possible to recompile individual
.dll to another os.

Side effects would be:

- More difficult to debug - since mapping to original binary image should be
somehow
maintained - if register dump helps anyhow the developer.
 --
Have a nice day!
Tarmo.