qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Binary translation (of code)

From: Tarmo Pikaro
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Binary translation (of code)
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 06:05:41 -0700 (PDT)

> In general, this is not possible. Consider for example self-modifying
> or otherwise dynamically created code, or just code that examines
> itself.

> In some specific trivial cases it could work, and QEMU could be made
> to abort if translation would be needed.

I think self-modifying code is kinda rare case - it's made typically for
protection againt hackers , and typically on pc side. Nintendo roms probably
don't use this kind of
protection.

Anyway - I think even to self-modifying code could be some tricks like
dynamically generated code.

I would be probably intrest to re-compile only modules, like .dll - but this
would

require to analyze when and how .dll being loaded. This is kinda self-modifying
code as well ? (OS loads .DLL)

 --
Have a nice day!
Tarmo.