qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Extremely slow graphic updates

From: Stefano Stabellini
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Extremely slow graphic updates
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:22:30 +0000

Paul Brook wrote:

>> 'ssh -X fastserver' and running qemu there.  With the new display code
>> this has made qemu very slow and hardly useable.
>
> I'm seeing similar extreme slowness even on a local machine.
>
> Particularly noticeable is that the monitor displayed on a qemu virtual SDL
> console (i.e. the defaut) slow enough to be practically unusable. It's taking
> the best part of a second to rendering a character.
>
> This is on an otherwise fast machine that does not have accelerated X
> drivers,
> which suggests we're doing something really dumb like reading from video ram.

We are not doing anything that dumb (anything that I am aware of :)

> I have confirmed that this is caused by r6336.

What is the quickest way for me to reproduce this problem?
Have you seen this on ppc emulation only?

I gather that the guest is in text mode. Have you seen this in graphical
mode too? If yes, what was the resolution of the guest?

What is the resolution of your host? What X11 extensions are you using?
Do you set SDL_VIDEODRIVER anywhere?

Sorry for the list of questions, I am just trying to better understand
the issue.