qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Crash: When Host HDD is full

From: andrzej zaborowski
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Crash: When Host HDD is full
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:36:12 +0200

On 12/07/07, Daniel P. Berrange <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 07:12:58PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
> Mike Swanson wrote:
> >On Wednesday 11 July 2007 08:19:48 Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> >
> >>Problem 1:
> >>When Host HDD is full, all guests simply crash. Tried with dynamically
> >>growing .VMDK hard disk.
> >>
> >>It shouldn't happen. For example, both VirtualPC and VirtualBox pause
> >>all VMs, and gray their displays when something like that happens.
> >>

> >IMO, it's a non-issue; you probably shouldn't be letting your filesystems
> >to become full in the first place, much less running VMs on it.
>
> Well, he shouldn't, but neither should qemu crash or corrupt data.

It should be propagating any IO errors in the host back up to the guest
OS as IDE errors.

Here's a patch attempting to do that which I posted back when I was
really annoyed at almost losing my data because of QEMU not
propagating the errors:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-12/msg00275.html . I
agree that this should be the correct behavior but there was no
agreement over this when it was discussed on IRC. (I don't know if the
patch was correct though, it was a bit of black magic for me at the
time)

Cheers,
Andrew