qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Crash: When Host HDD is full

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Crash: When Host HDD is full
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:10:02 +0200

Am 19.07.2007 um 09:25 schrieb Adam Bolte:

>From a usability perspective, I also would expect this to be the correct behaviour. Non-technical users using, say, Windows (in full-screen mode) on a GNU/Linux desktop need to know that their HDD is full and they must free up space - not have the guest complain about cryptic HDD errors and
failed writes (assuming the guest OS can even be trusted to do this).

Pausing the VM and notifying the user of no free host storage space is
also the same behaviour as other virtualization products, so this might
already be the expected behaviour from the user's POV.

At the very least, I feel a switch to enable this behaviour would be
appropriate.

Having developed applications for memory-limited devices I agree that an application must handle any cases, whether assumed common or not, including out-of-memory situations. So qemu should always detect this and handle it in some way.

Regarding the user's point of view described above, I concur that a switch would be a good compromise. However given that someone using CVS head is likely to read the mailing list and all other users upgrading should read the release notes, this option should be the default or otherwise exactly those users the feature is targeted at will not use the switch! It's also more frontend-friendly not needing an additional switch for mainstream users.

Andreas