pspp-users

Re: oblimin rotation?

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: oblimin rotation?
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:28:44 +0200

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 10:16:17AM +0200, Germano Rossi wrote:

     PSPP is at version 0.84 not at 1.x and is an "open" source program.

Well PSPP is a program which is part of the GNU Project. GNU produces "free
software"
NOT "open source" but the two things are very similar.

     This  mean "gratis" for us (to use) and for the programmers (to write).

PSPP, like most free software can be obtained gratis, but that is not important.
The "free" in Free Software refers to freedom not to price.  What is important,
is that you (the users) have the freedoms to examine the code, to copy and
distribute
it and to make modifications.

     In my opinion, it is premature to abandon SPSS for PSPP if you use it for
     research.

SPSS does not permit you to examine their code, so nobody can know whether of
not
there are inaccuracies in it.  I would be suspicious of any research
publication which
quotes statistical results produced by software which cannot be audited.

Like you say, the GNU Project does not offer a guarantee for PSPP.  Similarly
there is no
guarantee for SPSS (except for the the media it comes on).  However, unlike
SPSS, with PSPP
you can make a contract with a software consultancy who will gaurantee to fix
problems should
they arise.   With SPSS this would be impossible.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3