pspp-users

Re: oblimin rotation?

From: Germano Rossi
Subject: Re: oblimin rotation?
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:16:17 +0200

I have a question about factor analysis, specifically the rotations. Are
there any plans to implement oblimin or any other non-orthogonal rotation?

BTW, I was successfull to persuade Faculty of Health Care
(http://www.fzj.si/en/ - Slovenia, Europe) to switch from SPSS to PSPP.
They have found out PSPP currently has almost everything they need,
except some non-orthogonal rotation for factor analysis.

PSPP is at version 0.84 not at 1.x and is an "open" source program. This mean "gratis" for us (to use) and for the programmers (to write).
In my opinion, it is premature to abandon SPSS for PSPP
if you use it for research.
It's fine for teaching statistics or introduction to data analysis.
If SPSS is too expensive, I suggest you to use a combination of PSPP and R (both free).
Eg., In version 0.84, for the extraction (to date) PSPP uses principal components or principal axes, not maximum likelihood o minimum residual. Good for teaching, not for a serious research analysis. But also SPSS is limited, not being able to apply fit indices (as does R with the package psych).

Germano
--
Germano Rossi, Dipartimento di Psicologia, Universita' degli Studi di Milano Bicocca