pspp-dev

Re: Looking for a copyediting and technical writing learning experience

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Looking for a copyediting and technical writing learning experience
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 12:03:15 -0800

danka <address@hidden> writes:

> My name is Dan Kappus. I am looking for a small software project to work
> with. I want to learn software documentation (docbook, xml, all that) by
> doing.

We don't use DocBook or XML in PSPP (or in most GNU software).
We do use Texinfo.  It's not hard to learn, but it's not what
you're asking about.

[...]

> My interest in PSPP is that I am a statistics student, and hope to be
> going to graduate school evenutally in the social sciences. PSPP lets me
> do basic useful statistics without paying a huge license fee. I'm never
> going to be a compsci wizkid, but I would like to make a contribution of
> time because I use lots of GNU software. Perhaps I could make this
> contribution here.

Well, one contribution we could use is a "getting started"
guide.  Are you interested in writing that sort of thing?
There is just a little more detail on this in one of the PSPP bug
reports:
        http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?func=detailitem&item_id=11537
I don't know whether this would be best as part of the PSPP
manual or as a separate document.

We could also use some quality proofreading of the existing PSPP
manual.
--
"There's only one thing that will make them stop hating you.
 And that's being so good at what you do that they can't ignore you.