Re: Recompressing PNG images

From: Neil Mitchell
Subject: Re: Recompressing PNG images
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 02:42:39 -0000

> If you think 500kb are worth a save 10mb download, you might be
> interesting in implementing .jng support (see libmng and friends) into
> clanlib, that would allow to use jpep's with alpha channel, which
> could save a whole lot more, especially for backgrounds, which often
> scream for being a jpeg, but need an alpha channel and thus aren't.

Yes, I think 500Kb is more than worth it, for minimal pain.

On a related point, where jpeg's are in the CVS, is a corresponding
uncompressed version anywhere near by? Since JPEG is lossy, whenever you
compress it you are throwing away information, and also importantly, the
jpeg artifacts are like random noise and hence compressing a jpeg losslessly
(i.e. gif or png) blows its size much higher than compressing the original.
Keeping a JPEG in PNG format in the CVS, or somewhere on the web, would be
very handy if the images need retouching or reformatting etc.

I peresonally doubt I have the time or ability to implement jng support in
clanlib, but once its there, using it would be wise.

Neil