Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Switching from phpGroupware to eGroupw

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: Switching from phpGroupware to eGroupware ?
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:24:55 +0000

On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 22:29 +0200, Sigurd Nes wrote:
> Giorgio Pioda wrote:
> >
> > Hi Olivier
> >
> > I dont blame on that decision... I've to admit that I'm also
> considering the migration. Phpgroupware seems dead; Trunk is full of
> bug and it is not even possible to test it since it isn't installable
> and I don't see almost any development on the road.

It is a shame to lose users and developers, but at this stage I can not
offer much to keep you.  I have put a lot of time into developing new
feature for phpgw, but then when bugs are found by Sigurd he fixes them
in a private tree and refuses to release them without a string of
conditions attached to them.

> Allow me to implement what I need and it will be fixed in a flash - as:
> 1) ability to turn off notices from being displayed (using log level) to
> quicly
> swith from developer-mode to user-mode

Discussed ad nausem - you were told how to solve this but ignored it

> 2) configurable safetylevel on passwords

Submit a patch for consideration

> 3) pdo for db-abstraction (faster and more secure)

Discussed and won't be considered for 18 even if the issues with the
code and licensing are resolved.

> 4) keep the ability to do cloning of db-objects

Discussed in depth - the policy is clear

> 5) keep the license at GPLv2  - " or (at your option) any later version."(to
> legally allow back-ported FelaMiMail from egroupware) - as web apps are not
> particularly subjected to "Tivoization"

This is not possible as we are a GNU package - if you want a GPLv2 only
version of phpgw filled with hacks you are free to create your own
project or join egroupware.

> Bottom line: if we could have some influence - we could contribute a lot to
> the
> project.

Influence?  It is a community, you are free to participate in the
discussions, but you also have to live with the decisions of the
community.  It doesn't help your case to keep on raising the same issues
over and over again.  Also threatening people doesn't go down too well
either, just because you aren't getting your own way.

Cheers

Dave
--
Dave Hall (aka skwashd)
Coordinator - Community Building
|_|         |_|                         |_|Web based collaboration platform