Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Fudforum for debian

From: Olivier Berger
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Fudforum for debian
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:46:47 +0200

Le mercredi 16 avril 2008 à 03:08 -0700, Giorgio a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> is there any chance to see a new fudforum-phpgroupware package in
> debian sid?

Well... I'm not sure we (Debian phpgw maintainers) are really ready for
maintaining an official Debian package for it... we don't really use it
ourselves. Also we would need some indications on its "status" as well
maintained or not by phpGroupware developers, and the security risks
relating to that module...

But there may be several possibilities to change the current situation :
* getting a new co-maintainer for it joining our team, who would
"commit" to maintaining it
* doing some unofficial packaging

About the second option, which may be implemented right awayn we may
adapt the Debian source package's construction script to support
unofficial packages generation with some additional options (something
which used to be possible I think in previous packaging). They even
could be hosted on phpgroupware.org ? ;)

Anyway, much of the issue of the perimeter of the official Debian
packages is linked to the maintainability of the modules, and the
security risks lying in the code... it would be too bad if the whole
package was to be removed as a whole, due to some security flaw in one
peripheral module of little interest for most people (which kinda
happened in the past).

About fudforum, I don't know... is it well maintained, problematic,
etc. ?

> I really need a good forum application using the platform for
> educational purposes (learning at distance)
>
> I could even offer some (very limited) time to prepare the package
> althoug my experience in packaging php stuff is ZERO and  the general
> packaging experience is very low.

Sure, thanks.

Maybe you could start and test the package re-generation, and maybe
discuss it on the dedicated mailing-list at
address@hidden (also
https://picoforge.int-evry.fr/wws/info/phpgwdeb but down at the present
time :(... so I hope the link is the right one).

In any case, you should file a wishlist bug on Debian BTS, I think, so
that such discussions are archived for other Debian users.

> cheers
>
> Giorgio Pioda.

Best regards,

--