RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Discussion: include/require stateme nts

From: Kai Hofmann
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Discussion: include/require stateme nts
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 16:21:26 +0200

> > > Last but not least I think using require_once along with
> set_error_handler
> > >
> > > see http://de.php.net/set_error_handler (works since php 4.0)
> > >
> > > is the best solution, because you have an central error
> handler that can
> > > output error messages and no additional code for every(!)
> require statement.
> >
> > this would be ideal :)
>
> Communik8r will be using set_error_handler.  phpLDAPadmin is another
> good example of its use.
>
> Eventually I would like to see a complex error handling system, which
> gives users the option of filing bug reports from with in
> phpgw.  In my
> mind it would function like gnome's bug buddy system.  This is a long
> way off as we don't even use a consistent logging system.

Sounds like it is a good idea to start with this concept in head now.
Because we are under development in head, I would like to propose the
following steps:

1. Change all include,include_once,require to require_once
2. Write a central error handler that at its first picks up
   require_once failures and presence a readable/understandable
   output to the user.
3. Create an error report server that can accept automatically error reports
4. Add functionality for sending out automatically error reports to
   the greoupware. This kind of feature should be switchable (on/off) by
   the administrator during setup. (Should be switched off by default for
   protection of personal data).

Greetings

   PowerStat