Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Discussion: include/require stateme nts

From: Alex Borges
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Discussion: include/require stateme nts
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:43:05 -0500

My 2bit.... sorry to intrude, but i sometimes cannot help myself.

>From the somehow empirical evidence we found in our tests (based on
elsa runs), it does look like there is a performance hit of
createobject/execmethod as it is implemented now.

Dont get me wrong, the api to instance objects is downright helpfull
for pre-php5 stuff, but it is slow since it can load a large array of
instances that get rewritten, overwritten, and files get reloaded from
time to time as well.

I say a reimplementation of the internal works of create object to
work with require  probably would result in a better performance.

The problem starts when CreateObject and, especially ExecMethod also
has to broker the objects it creates. This cannot be solved by requireonce
(it would require_once every time execmethod is executed? It doesnt seem
very good performance wise.... or maybe with a php cache it actually is
better... the whole
thing is worth taking a look at).
Supposing that require_once aint  goodenough for execmethod the decition
becomes:

 Do you want to keep execmethod? I think we do, its very usefull...
especially since,
when php5 becomes widespread, we will be able to implement the object
brokerage
using php5 oo stuff (which can identify class and hierarchy, and lets
you handle object
references in a saner and more transparent way).