RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] patch for sql in class.hooks.inc.ph p

From: Christian Boettger - Mailings
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] patch for sql in class.hooks.inc.ph p
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:33:55 +0200

G'day!

well, not without extra effort.

> Thats because for real performance tests (we do them on a
> professional base sometimes) you need to have the same environment
(hardware
> and software).

In this case the problem ist the hardware.

> And my SAP DB runs in a Virtual Maschine (vmware esx server)
> with MySQL, Postgre, Oracle, LDAP.
> Which is really not a suitable environment for performance testing ...

It's not only that.
a) the uncontrollable load e.g. on the Oracle server (which is neede for
another project) will make it impossible to get useful results.
but
b) the database virtual machine is not the only one on the ESX server. There
are about a dozen other machine on that one. So it's totally unpredictable
which share of CPU power this particular virtual machine will get during a
test run.

And we haven't got a spare hardware machine for test at the moment.

> Its more a database development server ;-)

Yep, that's the idea behind the setup.

> Next mistake here ;-) configs have to be defined - MySQL will perform
> very differently when using InnoDB vs. the old (faster) MySQL
> 3.x system which has no transactions ....

well, of course the test environment would have to be defined very cleary.

Regards

Christian

--
Dr. Christian Böttger